When I first decided to publish my collection of stories, other writers encouraged me. But they also warned me to be patient. “It’s a long and tedious process,” they said. They were right! Here are the steps my book has gone through during the past four months:
1. Online submission: I provided my book’s basic materials and information.
2. Initial Check-in: My Check-in-Coordinator reviewed my materials to be sure I addressed all matters before moving to the next step.
3. Editorial Evaluation: An editor read my manuscript and sent me a detailed evaluation of every aspect. Then my Editorial Consultant talked with me about my editing needs. Fortunately, my book received excellent ratings in every department except one: my punctuation needed to comply with Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition. We agreed that I could make those corrections without purchasing an editor’s assistance, and I edited my manuscript and submitted it for a second Editorial Evaluation.
4. Second Editorial Evaluation: I was able to correct many items in my manuscript. However, there were still other punctuation and style errors I was unaware of. My editor allowed me to go through my manuscript once again to make further corrections.
5. Proofreading: Now the publisher’s proofreaders reread my manuscript to ensure all corrections had been made. At this point, my publisher awarded my book a special designation: Editor’s Choice. This indicated my book would be one of their top-quality publications. I was thrilled!
6. Design Team: The book designers used my files and information to create electronic proofs of my manuscript and book cover.
7. Proofing the electronic galleys: Now it was my turn to review the corrections and changes made by the Design Team in my manuscript and on my book cover. I submitted any other changes I wanted them to make.
8. Changes made in electronic galleys: The Design Team followed my directions and returned the galleys to me.
9. Proofing again: I reviewed the revised proofs and approved them.
10. Post Production: Now my book is in the printing stage. This morning I received a phone call from my Book Consultant who said they will be sending me a soft cover copy and hard cover copy of my new book. Again, I will need to review both of these to make sure everything looks okay. After I give final approval, my book will become available for sale. Hooray!
Whew! What an exciting journey this has been!
I’ll be sure to let you know when my book has “gone live.”